Little did I know about the beauty of this state, I realized, as I set my eyes down from the window of the plane. It looked nothing less than a slice of paradise. After landing in Srinagar, I traveled across Kashmir by road for two weeks covering Srinagar, Kargil, Leh, Nubra Valley and finally crossing the border to enter Himachal Pradesh. It was the longest I have been on road and believe me, when I tell you without a slightest doubt that Kashmir is the most beautiful state in India.
Dramatic clouds and blanketed green carpets welcomed me where ever I went. Stunning panoramas filled my heart with happiness. Refreshing power of nature made me feel alive every single minute.
Kashmir has turned out to be a battle field and is making news for all wrong reasons. But no words come from my mouth as I stand here mesmerized by its beauty and those charming streams that make the valley look even better.
Vast mountain ranges playing hide and seek, kept me wide awake on the indefinite road.
This view alone eases away stress and makes everything outside look more calm and quiet.
Pathway opened to the beautiful meadow and we rode further interrupting the howling wind that blew through the valley.
As I sat there blowing dandelions I was drawn into memories of my childhood. Little things that once brought so much joy and laughter.
I was relatively new to horse riding and sitting on the saddle, climbing up the steep mountains did scare me. One wrong step or a slip would define my death but Sonu ↓ was in total control and managed very well.
I can go on and on writing hundred more pages about this magical place. But let me stop it right away, for I want you to experience the magic just like I did in every nook and corner of this beautiful state.
Shout out to all these pretty girls who made this trip even more memorable.
♦ Places I Would Recommend You To Visit In Srinagar ♦
- Dal Lake & Nigeen lake (Shikaras are waiting to take you around. Go stay in the house boat for a night)
- Srinagar is home to some of the beautiful gardens in India. Keep a day aside to visit the gardens.
- Prepare yourself for 250 steps climb to reach Shankaracharya temple. Get a 360 degree panoramic view of Srinagar including the Dal lake.
- Gulmarg: Two hours drive from Srinagar. More if there is traffic while coming back to city. Gondola ride is a must do. Be prepared for long queues and the annoying touts. Dont forget to bargain. Is it the serene landscape or snow covered mountains that you want to experience? Check the weather and plan your travel accordingly. Hotel recommendation: The Khyber Himalayan Resort & Spa
- Sonamarg: If you have time you can visit Sonamarg which is about 90km from Srinagar. It is unavoidable if you are driving down to Leh from Srinagar. Meadow of gold with the snowy backdrop mountains will truly mesmerize you. Note: Bargain Well
Also Read → What to pack for your Leh-Ladakh Trip
How About Trekking?
Kashmir Great lakes Trek – Named the prettiest trek in India. You get to see five beautiful alpine lakes adorned with snow patches and grassy shores. For more details Click here
Frequently asked Question
Is it safe to travel to Srinagar? Yes!!! Its absolutely safe to travel to Srinagar. However avoid going there during unrest as you might not be able to travel around as planned. Incidents like protest, stone pelting doesn’t happen at the tourist places. Tourists are never targeted and remain unharmed. If there is curfew or unrest stay at the hotel and resume sightseeing when peace is restored. Armed forces and people of Kashmir will make sure tourists are given safe passage.
Note: Dress appropriately as its a muslim dominated area and I felt people there are quite conservative. City shuts down by 10 pm.
Follow Loading Miles on Facebook |Instagram | Youtube | Twitter for more travel posts, stunning pictures and some travelling hacks. You can get email alerts on our new posts by Subscribing. Just drop in your email address.